Sr. Manager of Operations
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific
Posted on: July 14, 2021
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific,
you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures
for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is
safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be
supported in achieving your career goals!
The ACS (Advanced Cell Systems) Sr. Manager, Operations
(Frederick, MD)) reports to the Sr. Director of Operations and is a
strategic partner in the manufacturing operations, leading all
aspects of an organization of over 20 employees and $35M+ revenue.
The Sr. Manager is responsible for coordinating the supply
chain, production activities, and quality control testing for
primary cells and RNA delivery to customers.
This position drives the Biosciences Cell Biology
Operations in Frederick, MD, and directly leads supervisors and
individuals that specialize in areas of tissue procurement
(to maintain, improve and expand sources), primary
cell isolation, analytical QC testing and cell culture, to
ensure isolation and characterization of primary cells is
consistently producing high quality finished goods on time to meet
demand, in a safe working environment. In this role,
you will develop the inventory management strategy. You will
provide influential leadership that ensures product planning,
scheduling, sourcing, materials availability and equipment
maintenance are effective in enabling the teams to achieve customer
and business goals. You will partner routinely with internal
suppliers, sourcing, planning, procurement, quality, engineering,
maintenance, R&D, NPI, product management, other
groups/divisions, and other sites to improve customer experience.
The role drives the implementation of PPI-Lean Enterprise to
eliminate waste and improve flow, and to encourage a team that is
effective at root cause investigations and implementation of both
corrective and preventive actions within RUO and ISO13485 QMS
- Provides excellent leadership as Operations business liaison to
set mission and vision for strategy execution; ensuring employee
safety and engagement, financial responsibility and organizational
- Assures training efficiency, that all employees understand
duties and responsibilities and reviews employee performance
against established goals and company policies.
- Mentors, coaches, and develops team. Promotes individual
development planning and career mapping. Provides performance
feedback for robust individual and team performance.
- Demonstrates technical capability; deep understanding of
manufacturing functions; contract negotiation skills; experience in
cell isolation processing is a plus.
- Drives growth and continuous improvement (lean/six sigma) by
demonstrating the Practical Process Improvement (PPI) toolkit.
Champions improvement projects.
- Focuses team on using standardized work practices, such as
tiered huddles/daily management, and implements 5S principles.
Provides leadership mentorship during Gemba walks, Kaizen events,
Management Reviews, etc.
- Establishes goals, sets priorities, drives critical
- Enable New Product Introduction success, by acting as
member of stage gate process.
- Communicate optimally with remote Tissue Sourcing team. Manages
relationship and contractual obligations for all current tissue
suppliers. Expand supply base, improve processes and costs. Work
towards a consistent, stable and improved quality supply of
- Lives the Thermo Fisher Scientific 4I Values of
Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement.
- Maintains compliance with 21CFR1300 for management of
controlled substance and with various QMS (including ISO9001:2015
and ISO13485), and adherence with IACUC commitments.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor or Advanced degree in scientific field, or
related field required
- Minimum of 10 years of progression in manufacturing
leadership positions of growing responsibility, with a preference
for experience in a customer experience focused manufacturing
Key Competencies & Knowledge Areas:
- Strong leadership and decision-making
- Experienced with organizational change.
- Strong project management and excellent analytical
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to work optimally
in a highly matrixed environment.
- Possess solid understanding of all Operations function,
as well as R&D, Product Management, Commercial, and Program
- Knowledge, experience, or training in Lean techniques and
proficient in process auditing. Possess a continuous process
improvement attitude with the ability to effectively lead
- New product launch or new service launch experience is
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Works in office environment, manufacturing floor
environment, and laboratory environment.
- Interacts with subordinate, peers, leaders, suppliers and
customers daily. Less than 10% travel, including international,
could be required.
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Frederick , Sr. Manager of Operations, Other , Frederick, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!